Brent Miller has performed nationally and internationally as a Timpanist and Percussionist with Orchestras including the Melbourne Symphony, Orchestra Victoria, Malaysian Philharmonic, Orchestra Ensemble Kanazawa (Japan), Singapore Symphony, Auckland Philharmonia, the Queensland and Adelaide Symphony Orchestras. His chamber music involvements have included performances with Southern Cross Soloists, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra, Queensland Virtuosi, Sydney Camerata, Camerata of St. John’s and conducting engagements with Griffith Chamber Players.
Through his freelance engagements, Brent has had the privilege of performing alongside artists such as Kristin Chenoweth, Idina Menzel, Diana Krall, Lang Lang, Tim Minchin, Sinead O’Conner, Kate Ceberano, The Wiggles, Anthony Callea, Katie Noonan and Gurrumul Yunupingu.
As an educator, Brent is a Percussion Examiner for the Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB) and has frequently tutored percussionists of the Queensland Youth Orchestras, guest tutored the Malaysian Philharmonic Youth Orchestra and acted as timpani tutor for the Queensland ‘Young’ Conservatorium. He has given a timpani masterclass to students of the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music and several school workshops around Australia, including a weeklong rhythm workshop for students of all instruments at Southern Cross Soloists’ Rockhampton Winter Music School.
Other career highlights include being chosen as the Timpanist (and one of only 4 Australians) for the YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011, the World Youth Orchestra 2012, and an International Tour to Europe and China with the Australian Youth Orchestra 2010 that included performances at the BBC Proms, Royal Albert Hall and Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, conducted by Sir Mark Elder. Also, in 2008, Brent won the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Snare Drum Award and was invited to record the test piece for the competition (Clockwork Lemon by Stuart Greenbaum) with Rhythmscape Publishing Australia.
Brent studied a Bachelor of Music in Advanced Performance with Tom O’Kelly and Dr. Vanessa Tomlinson at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music, Griffith University; graduating with First Class Honours and the University Medal. He is currently completing a Master of Music Research as the recipient of an Australian Postgraduate Award.
• Brent is available for lessons on ALL classical percussion instruments, including: Timpani, Marimba, Vibraphone, Xylophone, Glockenspiel, Snare Drum, Tambourine, Triangle, etc.
• Hobby player? School student? Aspiring Professional? All skill levels and ages are welcomed. Let me share my love and passion for percussion with you – experience the joy of percussion music-making today! I will help you achieve your goals in a supportive and fun environment.
• Quality assured – I pride myself on giving each student a solid technical foundation and tailor an individual program for each person.
• Trinity and AMEB syllabus teaching available.
• No lock-in commitments – have lessons at a frequency that suits you. We will work at a pace that suits your lifestyle.
• Do not let doubts or impairments hold you back – my past students have included those that are hearing impaired. Anything is possible!!