1300 JP MUSIC
1300 576 874
13 Creswell St, Newstead 4006 QLD
Sticks & Mallets
The musical journey of Tony's Drumming Career began in 1993 at the age of 15 when he started out in his High School orchestra. He started out being completely untrained and having to ‘wing-it’ until becoming proficient enough to read charts and understanding how a Wind Ensemble worked. After a couple of months Tony moved into the High School BIG BAND playing Jazz and fusion classics which involved drum set and percussion.
In 2006 Tony joined a 16 piece Big Band, New Groove Jazz Ensemble, and performed all over Brisbane playing Big Band Standards eventually finishing in 2000. Tony then moved on and joined Plibian Mass in the same year, which was a mash up of Folk, Rock and Ballads in which he made his mark and began to receive various offers in other band situations. Towards the end of 2001 Tony became interested in the Progressive-Rock scene in Brisbane and eventually joined the powerful and emotive band Ochre whose members eventually moved on to form Dead Letter Circus. Ochre toured extensively through Australia with other colossal bands including Cog, The Butterfly Effect, Testeagles and Melodyssey.
IN 2003 Tony decided to move into a more dynamic style of music which saw him join a musically intense and dark band, Sol Terra, a Hip Hop, Soul and Jazz group, who performed North and South of the East Coast of Australia. He really pushed himself to a new level of expression and style of drumming that would later prove to be helpful and attractive to other songwriters, performers and producers. Sol Terra finished performing early 2006 and an opportunity opened up through Dave Atkins to be a possible fill in drummer of Resin Dogs (Hip Hop/ Electronica) for some upcoming touring. Dave and Tony hung out and it was obvious of their similar musical backgrounds and outlooks that Tony was the new skins-man. Dave needed someone who could represent the band in a bombastic style The Dogs were known for. Tony joined Resin Dogs in mid 2006 and toured heavily in Festivals around Australia including Park Life, Vibes on a Summers Day, Blues and Roots Festival in 2009 & 2010 and in 2007 the group embarked on a full European Tour.
During a festival in late 2006 Tony meets with long-time friend and vocalist for The Butterfly Effect, Clint Boge. They decide to work on some of Clint’s songs, however don’t get together until mid 2007 where they make up for lost time and have two rehearsals and demo 12 songs. These songs later become a debut album under a band name Final Days of Autumn (Blues/Soul/Rock), a supergroup with members from Resin Dogs, The Butterfly Effect, Shifter and Omni Anti. The Album was recorded by Skritch of Mary Trembles, Tex Perkins, Beasts of Bourbon in Black Box Studio in Brisbane.
In 2007 Tony had become a member of Omni Anti with members from Resin Dogs and Blonde on Blonde. Omni Anti, with funky hip hop beats, edgy lyrics, soaring saxophone melodies and infectious grooves, performed at the Brisbane River Stage in 2007 for the 2007 ‘Walk Against Warming’ event. In 2008 included fundamental events such as Valley Fiesta, winning over audiences with their electric live show featuring MC’s, female Vocalists, Saxophones, live Drums and Percussion, Bass, Guitars and Keyboards. Also during that year, Omni Anti entered the studio to commence work on their debut recording with engineer/producer Dave Atkins. In early 2009 the Blackbird e.p. was released with performance at Brisbane’s Caxton Street Seafood and Wine Festival.
In 2009 Tony joined Mary Trembles, 3 piece Power Rock, alongside Skritch, and Joel (Blonde on Blonde). The Band toured USA and Canada in June/July 2009 after they were invited to perform North by North East in Toronto, Canada in 2009.
2009 also brought on some musical talents from Mihirangi who is a Folk/Electronica Loop Pedal Artist, who Tony performed shows with and toured around Australia and New Zealand until 2012. He also features on Mihirangi's Solo Album which was released in 2013. Mihi then went on to become a finalist on New Zealand's Got Talent.
In 2010 close friends of Tony decide to create a band called Blonde on Blonde of the Psychedelic/Rock/Pop genre. They recorded their first EP 'Tease' that same year which was engineered by Dave Atkins.
During 2010 and into 2012, a collective of three key writers from a diverse range of musical backgrounds, Monkwhy (Hung, Monkey Wacks), Matthew Napier (Resin Dogs, Blonde on Blonde, Sol Terra) alongside Tony went on to form the band, Fort Kilsby (Soul/Hip Hop/Rock). Primarily Instrumental, the band collaborated with many national & international guests including Stewart Hill (DLC), Quan Yeoman (Regurgitator), Ian Perez (Wolfmother), Abstract Rude (Freestyle Fellowship) and more. The Band recorded their self titled EP at BlackBox Studios by Engineer Allan Mawdsley (Roots Manuva, Resin Dogs, MJ Cole).
IN 2013 Tony joins Wolfmother for their American East Coast show's. He recorded a song for a computer game sound track at The Village with Engineer Ed Cherney (Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Sting, Bob Dylan, Lenny Kravitz).
The years 2014 & 2015 includes a lot of bands that Tony, has and continues, to perform with:
· Regurgitator May 2015 filled in on Drums for the Bands return to touring circuit
· DJ Katch as a Duo consisting of Turntables, Samples & Drums which is Experimental Beat Music.
· Golden Sounds (Traditional Funk) were invited to perform at the boutique Malasimbo Festival in Philippines in 2015 and have been the house band at the Pineapple Lounge at Woodford Folk Festival in 2013, '14 & '15. The Band also performed at Island Vibe Festival on Stradbroke Island in 2014. They also perform regularly at the Bowery Bar, Brooklyn Standard & Motor Room.
· HAM (Country/Blues/Soul) who perform regularly at Lefties House of Blues. Currently working on debut EP with Jeff Lovejoy.
· Tango Hustler (Gangsta Funk) Members include Chris Pearson (Jimmy Barnes, Megan Washington), Ant Aggs (Xavier Rudd, Afro Dizzi Act)
· Jack & The Giant Killers (Folk/Blues/Reggae) Members include Marcello Milani (Toothfaeries), Jack Vaney, Mark Headey
· LaBoum (Electronic Dance Music) House band at Cloudland. Members include Steve Anning, Steele Chabau (MKO, Chukale)
· Woolpit (Noise Rock) Members include Skritch (Tex Perkins, Beasts of Bourbon, Mary Trembles) and Pete O'Brien (Sabrina Lawrie & The Hunting Party)
Free Sunny (Acoutic Duo Covers) featuring Steve Rudkin
Other Bands and Artists Tony has worked with include HAU, NFA, Evil Eddie, Quan, Elly Hoyt, Hung, HooHaa, Anonymous Hero's, Gonzalez 3, JFunk
Some interesting facts about Tony:
· Picked by JAYK to perform with Jamiroquai in 2002 at a Brisbane Festival after party.
· Has taught students privately and at the Drum Cartel
· Has done Session work at Blackbox & Airlock Studios
· Has done sessions for TV Commercial's
· Played the opening slot in a Drum Clinic with Dean Butterworth of Good Charlotte, Ben Harper, Morrissey in 2010 & 2012.
· Composes using Akai MPC Sampler, guitar, bass, synths
· Extensive Festival and Touring both Nationally & Internationally
· 2001 - 2009 worked for Col Gillies Drummers Warehouse
· 2014 and currently working as Store Manager for Just Percussion in Newstead.
Current Instruments include Ludwig, Zildjian, Akai MPC Samplers
Just Percussion is proud to sponsor Queensland's first, very own Percussive Arts Eisteddfo...
Just Percussion Christmas / New Years Opening Hours
December 24th: 9am-1pm
Pay Your Invoice
Terms & Conditions
1300 JP MUSIC
1300 576 874
13 Creswell Street, Newstead 4006 QLD